Every year, on May 12, we celebrate the work of nurses whose role in the healthcare system is major. The International Nurses Day is celebrated worldwide to highlight the important role of this profession. May 12 marks the birthday of Florence Nightingale, the founder of this profession. She founded the first nursing school at “St. Thomas” in London in 1860.
Today nurses represent the largest category among healthcare professionals. This is understandable because they carry most of the work in a medical facility. We are a profession – a profession that deserves respect and distinction. We want nurses to participate actively in decision-making so that they can directly forward the messages to everyone and their voice to be heard.
The achievements and the problems faced by the nurses were discussed at the National Conference on the International Nurses Day with the title “Nurses – a leading voice in health for all”, which took place in Falesti. The organizers of the event are the Nursing Association of Moldova, Falesti rayon council, Falesti Hospital and Falesti Health Center. The inauguration of the conference took place with an ensemble of violinists and the folk ensemble “Favorit”. Dr. Viorel Babii – the district president, Mr. Iurie Osoianu – Director of the Hospital and Mrs. Nina Sciastlivii – head of Falesti Health Center, welcomed the participants with opening speeches. The works of the national conference continued with issues related to the health system in the Republic of Moldova, where presenters were Mrs. Elena Stempovscaia – the president of the Nursing Association of Moldova, Mrs. Virginia Salaru – vicedecan of Medicine University “Nicolae Testemitanu”, Mrs. Maria Munteanu – assistant professor, Vice-president of the Nursing Association, Mrs. Tatiana Dnestrean – Expert, HEALTHY LIFE Project, Mrs. Mariana Negrean – Deputy Director of Center of Excellence in Medicine and Pharmacy “Raisa Pacalo”, Mr. Andrei Esanu, Mrs. Svetlana Nojac – Representative of the Company “Nestle”.
For outstanding merit in the health area, nurses were granted with diplomas from the Ministry of Health, Labor and Social Protection and the National Union “HEALTH”. The National Conference is part of a large number of activities undertaken within the Nursing Now Campaign, including:
- Charity actions – nurses from two hospitals in Chisinau – Municipal Hospital for Children “V.Ignatenco” and Municipal Hospital for Children No.1 organized humanitarian aid and helped two vulnerable families.
- Participation in the Charity Concert “Helpful Hands” to support home care services, (attended by 100 nurses)
- In the medical institutions were organized flashmobs to support the “Nursing Now” campaign, the winners of this event were: I place – Institute of Urgent Medicine, II place – Institute of Neurology and Neurosurgery, III place – Dental Clinic for the children
- Contest for “Best Nurse” voted by patients at district, republican, municipal, and primary health care levels. The winners are: Angela Vieru – Glodeni District Hospital, Vera Busuioc – Municipal Clinical Hospital Nr.1, Elena Rosca – Oncological Institute and Olga Aga – IMSP Health Center Râşcani district, Chisinau
- Photo contest from the activity of nurses: I place – Institute of Urgent Medicine; II place – Hospital of the Ministry of Health, Labor and Social Protection and the Republican Clinical Hospital; III place – Mother and Child Institute and Municipal Children’s Clinical Hospital No.1
- Another contest was for the best essay “My choice to become a nurse” were written 118 essays. All essays were mentioned with the “Dedication to Profession” badge and the essays have been published in the book “Golden Files from the History of Nurses of the Republic of Moldova”.
We wish to congratulate all nurses with this professional holiday! Good luck should always accompany you, and dreams come true! We wish you health, peace and warmth in your families!